Meatless Monday: Toasted Coconut Oatmeal
May 16, 2011
This might be my best oatmeal. Ever.
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup chunk pineapple (1 snack pack is perfect!)
- 1/3 cup sweetened coconut flakes
- brown sugar
- Heat water/milk to boil. Add oats and simmer 5 minutes until desired consistency.
- Meanwhile, heat small skillet over med heat and toast coconut (about 5 minutes) until browned…taking care to stir or shake pan occasionally to avoid burning.
- Add 1/2 cup pineapple to cooked oats and stir. Divide oats into two bowls. Top with brown sugar, margarine, toasted coconut. I added an additional splash of milk to make it creamy. Enjoy!
The crunchy sweetness of the coconut is perfect to off-set the creaminess of the oats. The tropical flavors scream summer…even when you would swear that it’s just too hot for oatmeal. What’s not to love??