Challenge: Lose the Baby Weight. WEEK 3. Weighing In

April 10, 2011

Down another pound! 3 lbs lost, 7 to go.

This week was really great until Friday–I ate like crazy over the weekend and haven’t exercised. I’m hoping to squeeze some walking time in today–if our spring dust storm’s don’t make it impossible for the kids and I to enjoy being outside. One of the less than pleasant aspects of life in the desert. The entire sky turns brown and the 40mph winds blow grit and trash from every angle. Yuck!

I had exercised 6 days in a row last week and my energy was fantastic. I’m sure most of it had to do with the fact that Leighton has been sleeping soundly in her crib until 4-5am giving me the best sleep I’ve had in a year. FINALLY!!

Next week’s topic–healthy snacking and more Volumetrics style recipes

If anyone has a topic for the next six weeks–please leave a comment on the blog or on Facebook if you subscribe to my feed. (Hint: Subscribe! Subscribe!)

I would love to hear about your success stories or obstacles–What’s working? What’s not? I know you guys are reading but I still hear crickets chirping on the blog….

Best wishes for a healthy week!

1. Laura Hodges permalink
    April 10, 2011 6:14 pm

Jen:
    I am so enjoying reading your blog….
    Had my annual physical exam on Thursday and my sugar level was a tad elevated. I am a freak for carbs, so since then I have been trying to be conscious of my carb intake. It is so hard to find things that are carbs without being predominantly sugar! Argh! I need something quick and easy easy for breakfast and for a morning snack …. any suggestions?
    Also, have you read Jessica Seinfeld’s cookbook ‘Double Delicios’? I’d like to know your opinion about her approach to feeding her family.
    Would you please sned me the title of the volumetrics book? I’d like to order it and see what is says.
    Thanks — Laura

2. Jen permalink*
    April 10, 2011 6:21 pm

Thank you Laura!
    Here is the link for the Volumetrics plan cookbook.

I love this book as a resource because it has so many great ideas for meals and snacks and it is customizable at different calorie levels. Something else that I would recommend for breakfast and snacks is Vitamuffins. You can buy the mix online or get the muffin tops at Costco or Target. These are 100 calorie muffins that are loaded with fiber and protein for people who enjoy baked goods but don’t want a lot of calories or guilt šŸ™‚

I keep the muffin tops in the freezer and use them for breakfast/snack. Just defrost in the microwave and pop into the toaster oven or allow to thaw overnight in the fridge. I will think of some more ideas and post soon! xoxo Jen

3. Liz permalink
    April 11, 2011 5:22 pm

I love Vitatops! I get the chocolate ones…. so this brings up two topics I’d like to hear your opinion about. One is dessert. I love sweets. Starting in January, I decided to cut out any dessert type treats at lunch, but I almost always have a little something sweet at night. I try to choose fruit, but I usually crave something with chocolate. Any good single-serve dessert ideas? The second topic is eating less processed foods and more whole foods. I’m trying to pay attention to labels and understand all the ingredients in the list. Trader Joe’s seems to have great options, but I don’t go there weekly. I tend to grab the more processed stuff out of convenience, but I have been trying to stop relying on Lean Cuisine for lunch.

As for success stories, I’ve been tracking my calories on and off (mostly on) for the last 3.5 years and have managed to drop about 25lbs. I know it doesn’t work for everyone because of time or preference, but I was inspired by people who liked WW. I use an online tracker that also gives me fat, fiber, and protein totals and keeps me accountable for free!

• Jen permalink*
      April 11, 2011 10:47 pm

The chocolate Vitatops are great! I meant to post on snacks/desserts this morning and life got in the way–I’m hoping to get it posted by tomorrow.

We are working hard at eating more whole foods. It’s tough with so many convenience items on the market!
      I love using one convenience item and then jazzing things up with lots of veggies or a homemade sauce/salsa. I would love to use this idea for posting!

Congratulations to you for losing 25 lbs–that is FANTASTIC. I love WW online and think it’s a great idea. Where do you track your points for free?

• Liz permalink
        April 12, 2011 2:09 pm

Thanks! I am glad that I am in the “normal” weight range and I hope to never be “overweight” again. I don’t technically count points, just mainly calories, but I also track my fitness activities. I use Daily Plate/Livestrong.

I think your idea of combining convenience with fresh is a good point! Bagel Bites are my go-to freezer meal and I try to pair them with a salad.

I love your posts because you keep things real. Thanks for sharing your tips!

4. Jen permalink*
    April 12, 2011 11:08 pm

I will have to check out the Daily Plate/Livestrong.

Bagel Bites are always in our house šŸ™‚

Thank you so much for your comments. Saying that I “keep things real” is such a wonderful compliment. I went in to dietetics because I thought that it was hard to relate to many of the nutrition experts. I hope to continue to translate healthy eating into something that is fun and easy to enjoy. Cheers!