My sweet helper

November 24, 2008

My little guy on day one–look how far we have come!

On Friday, I agreed to baby sit a four month old baby girl for a friend. I thought, how hard can it be? Don’t they usually just lay around and snuggle at that age?

Ha! How wrong I was. Said baby cried for 2 hours straight before I got desperate and called her grandmother for advice. I wasn’t quite ready to admit that at 34 years old I was a terrible babysitter!

She seemed terrified of us. We held her, sang to her, offered binkies and bottles….nada.

Morgan was the cutest. He stroked her sweet little hair. He tried to soothe her by talking to her. He even brought the bottle over and placed it gently in her mouth. I watched in awe as the little guy even demonstrated the rocking capacity of her carrier as if to tell me–“Maybe she would like to rock a bit?”

Where did he learn this? The orphanage? Daycare? Instinct?

At one point, they were both sitting in my lap with their blankets and the little girl seemed to calm down. Morgan was babbling intently to her. He was so gentle and compassionate that it brought tears to my eyes.

My sweet boy. How did I ever get this lucky?

1. Kelli permalink
    November 24, 2008 9:11 pm

He is such a sweetie- and I love that picture of him!

2. Heather permalink
    November 24, 2008 10:15 pm

Morgan sounds like he would make a great big brother.Yes,I live that scenario of 2 or 3 on my lap many times a day. Seems like if one wants up they all do.Heather-Ap to Meliah and Khai 19 months from Lang son,Vietnam

3. La Belette Rouge permalink
    November 24, 2008 11:29 pm

Yay! I got it to work. Ignore my email!:-)

4. Alyssa permalink
    November 24, 2008 11:57 pm

WOW! Morgan was so tiny. Isn’t it hard to believe how small they really were? What an adorable picture.

5. Carl and Stephanie permalink
    November 25, 2008 2:52 am

So sweet! I often wonder the same thing. Everyone always says how lucky our Saige is. The truth is WE are the lucky ones.

6. Kristin permalink
    November 25, 2008 5:07 pm

Awhhh…what a sweetheart. I love that he just kind of knew that rocking would be appropriate!Maybe he’s trying to tell you something? Wink, wink… I know he’d be a great big brother!Can’t wait to see you in January!! We’ll be in LA 1/7-1/13, so I hope we don’t miss you!

7. Laura permalink
    November 25, 2008 9:58 pm

What a sweetheart! Is Morgan trying to show you what a great big bro he’d make?!?! 🙂 Um, yeah, I don’t know what one does with a four month old, so don’t feel bad.

8. abc123vn permalink
    December 8, 2008 9:47 pm

Awww he sounds like he would make a great big bro and that he loves him some babies!