This week–new recipe

November 6, 2008

The photo has nothing to do with my post, but I have wanted to post it for so long! This is Morgan with Kristin’s beautiful daughter ,Lilly, last summer. I really wanted to post each day for National Blogging Month–but it just isn’t happening. Morgan has been sick, Jeremy has been working long hours, and I have been juggling home and work.

I stumbled across a new recipe last week–I had bought some more butternut squash, which is one of Morgan’s favorites. I wanted to add protein to it and had just bought some almond butter at Sun Harvest. Morgan is still not a huge fan of meat–so I use a lot of beans, nuts, cheeses, and eggs to add protein to his meals.

Cinnamon Apple Squash with Almond Butter
  • one package of peeled, chopped butternut squash (or you can chop and peel 1 med)
  • one 4 oz container of natural apple sauce
  • 2 tbs almond butter
  • cinnamon (to taste)

Steam squash according to package directions (5-8 minutes if using whole squash)

Mash squash with apple sauce and almond butter. Add cinnamon to taste.

Makes 3-4 servings

Happy News–after nearly a week of fever and fussiness, the little guy has his 7th tooth!
Also, Jeremy’s parents will be here at the end of next week 🙂

1. La Belette Rouge permalink
    November 6, 2008 4:18 pm

That sounds sooooo autumnally delicious. I am making that recipe. I heart apple butter.I wonder if I could use that instead of apple sauce. What do you think?

2. Jen permalink
    November 6, 2008 4:34 pm

I think apple butter would be spicy and delicious! You wouldn’t need the cinnamon. Maybe we will try that next?

3. Laura permalink
    November 6, 2008 11:48 pm

Oh my gosh, they are way too cute together! They almost look like siblings. Unless of course you guys (parents) have a marriage arrangement. If so, disregard that comment b/c it’s creepy. 🙂 What adorable kiddos!This recipe sounds awesome. Matty and I LOVE butternut squash and this sounds like one my ever-expanding butt can actually tolerate, unlike some of the other delicious sounding ones you’ve posted – targeted at the kids, of course – that I would love to eat. And it sounds like this is something this kitchen-challenged girl could make. Thank you!

4. Jenn permalink
    November 7, 2008 2:47 am

sigh…. wish i could get lilly, morgan and amos together. i'll have to try the recipe sometime this fall. did i mention i am planning on going back to being a vegetarian? p.s. i haven't forgotten about the lunch tote..just been bogged down by projects & life. let's connect soon via email to talk logistics. p.p.s. have you used skype before?

5. Kristin permalink
    November 7, 2008 3:15 pm

What a cute picture! I wish I could say that I’ve even uploaded the pictures into my computer, but I can not. Funny how I’m not on top of things the way I used to be. Wonder why? Can’t wait to see you in December!

6. Lisa permalink
    November 8, 2008 3:37 pm

That recipe sounds yummy! I can’t wait to try it!

7. Kristin permalink
    November 12, 2008 7:22 pm

I made this for Thomas and he actually ate some — with his own spoon from his own bowl. We’re calling it a success!