First Day

April 29, 2008

Morgan enjoyed a continental breakfast with his new mommy and daddy this morning–mashed banana and lots of play time banging his spoon on the table and charming the waitstaff at the hotel restaurant. He’s quite the little flirt…waving his hands and grinning. He has 1 tooth on the bottom of his mouth and looks kind of like a little jack-o-lantern when he smiles.
The day went smoothly, we had playtime in the hotel playroom and got lunch at the coffee shop on the corner. Morgan was fascinated by people watching and giggled happily all day. The only thing that gets the little guy down is sleep and being put down.
He seems to have a real fear of letting go of me. He will shriek and grip as tight as he can whenever I try to set him on the floor or loosen my grip for just a moment. The only tears we had all day–aside from his medical appointment–were because he never wanted me out of his sight.
We took Morgan to the medical clinic today because of the sore on his forehead. The Aussie doc who examined him thinks it’s a bug bite that got infected and that he may have a staph infection. We had brought meds on the trip–so we basically got by with some dosing instructions.
The appointment was very hard for Morgan. He cried and screamed until he almost made himself sick. Because he has been constipated–the doc gave him a digital rectal exam–and his dignity was compromised. Poor baby was inconsolable….on that note…so was I.
I’m falling completely in love with my new role as mommy. We play, we laugh, we cuddle…and it breaks my heart that he isn’t so secure yet. I know that he will attach better in time…the more he trusts me the easier it will be to let me put him down occasionally. It will just take a while for him to know that I will always be there to pick him back up.
  1. Anonymous permalink
    April 29, 2008 1:43 pm

I’m so happy for you and your family! You are all so lucky to find each other and be united as a family. c.mason

2. jjm permalink
    April 29, 2008 1:54 pm

Don’t stress about attachment just yet. He’s only known you for a few days. Security will come with time.Sorry to hear that the little man had a rough time with the doc. Hoping today is a better day.

3. Bina permalink
    April 29, 2008 3:15 pm

I saw that bite on his forehead, poor guy.And ya know, I think he DOES feel secure with you, and maybe you are the first people in his whole little life he can feel truly loves him and someone his little heart knows you will be there for him, but he is still afraid of losing you.Sounds like he took rigth to the both of you and man is that great!

4. Laurie permalink
    April 29, 2008 4:05 pm

JEN!!! I’m so excited for you guys. Sorry I’m just getting around to commenting, but Morgan is just precious!! Hope the staph infection clears up quickly.

5. Sandra permalink
    April 29, 2008 4:26 pm

I am sooo very happy for all of you! I’m sorry to hear he wasn’t feeling good and had a rough day at the doctor. He is cute as can be. I am glad he is finally with you and Jeremy! I think he knows he is with his mom and dad who truly love him like nobody else could. Lots of love to all of you.

6. Jenna and Ed permalink
    April 29, 2008 4:37 pm

I’m catching up on your last few days and YIPPIE! It’s so good to see him in your arms! Congrats! He looks great! It sounds like you are rocking at the mommy and daddy roles! I can’t wait to follow and long and hear (and see) more!

7. Jess and Paul permalink
    April 29, 2008 6:42 pm

Congrats! He is so cute…I can’t wait to hear more and SEE more pictures!!!

8. Lynchards permalink
    April 29, 2008 7:52 pm

Congrats to the new family! He is just darling. Love reading your posts – it sounds like everything is going great. Hope he is feeling better. You guys look like naturals and are a beautiful family together.

9. Jill Eagan permalink
    April 29, 2008 8:34 pm

Congratulations!! I am so happy that you finally have baby Morgan. I love reading your blog and seeing all the pictures!

10. Kelli permalink
    April 29, 2008 11:52 pm

I am so happy for you and your family! Morgan is precious!

11. Lisa permalink
    April 30, 2008 12:36 am

Congratulations! My son was adopted from the same orphanage in September, 2007 and reading your blog brings back such wonderful memories. Let me know if your son was there on Sept 4, 2007 – I may have some pics of him that were taken when we were there and would be happy to share those.

12. THopgood permalink
    April 30, 2008 1:32 am

That is so sweet! I’m so happy for you!

13. Mr Lady permalink
    April 30, 2008 1:50 am

I suck.I got all wrapped up in our own thing, and HERE YOU ARE!He is gorgeous, and I could not be happier for you both!Congrats!

14. May 1, 2008 3:30 am

Hi Jennifer and Jeremy,Everyone at the SErvice Center is so happy for the both of you. We’ve been keeping up with your beautiful pictures of Morgan and of course the proud parents! He is a little angel. WE can’t wait to meet him.Love you GUys!Ro